I can't be that big of a weirdo, right?

  We were eating breakfast the other day at a popular, family-owned cafe in Modesto. If you've ever had their biscuits and chocolate gravy (yep, chocolate!), you'll know exactly which eatery I'm talking about. It all tastes like Grandma is in the kitchen, whipping up everyone's favorite homemade dishes and adding a sprinkling of love. So, it's not fancified food....it's meat & potatoes-type fare there.





 For brunch, I wanted their hamburger-steak and eggs plate. My order went something like this: "I'll have the El Rancho plate, hamburger med-rare (just my personal taste), eggs over-medium, an order of bacon and no sides." Stephanie asks,"No pancake, biscuit, waffle, toast?" Me, "No, thank you." Steph arched her brow and asked, "Any fries, fried potatoes or hashbrowns?" Me, "No, no starches, please." Then Stephers furrowed her entire forehead at me and stated, "Well, you're paying for 'em anyway. Ya might as well get something...", followed by slightly annoyed lips. "Do you have any broccoli or steamed veggies? I'll take those," I said with a smile, hoping she was pleased that I wasn't just throwing money away on invisible side-dishes. You know, the whole starving kids thing and all. It's bad enough when people waste food, but when they pay extra for food that doesn't even make it to their plate...well, that's just a whole other level of ridiculousness. Stephanie mildly, yet pleasantly said, "I think they have some sort of mixed vegetable...." and she waved her pen in Matt's direction and with a teensy bit of sarcasm, she inquired, "And for you?" He ordered a bunless burger and garden salad, which seemed to go over without too much of a speed-bump. 
  Stephanie truly was a really great server for the rest of our meal, but even though I've gotten used to ordering keto at restaurants, I'm sure I won the annoying award for lunchtime. But it got me wondering...... don't people order like this all the time?? I mean, keto's been pretty popular on social media now for a few years and certainly there have been low-carbing Atkins peeps for more than three decades! I can't be that big of a weirdo, right?



  So, me being the shy-type and all (nottttt), I quizzed ol' Stepheroo,"How long have you worked as a server?" "Seven years." (I think she may have braced herself for a lashing.) "Is the way we ordered our meals today, with no buns, no starches, no sides...is that weird or unusual, or do you find more and more people skipping the carbs these days?" I was so sure of her response, until I realized I had no clue. "Hmmmmm," she pondered thoughtfully. "No, not too many, really. Occasionally someone asks to hold the bun or whatever, but that's about it. Yeah, it's a little weird." And she giggled, probably in relief that we weren't griping at her.
  Boy, I sure learned a lesson that day. I clearly saw my tunnel-vision. I had been so laser-focused on all things keto during the prior year, that I truly thought it was just commonplace to hear low-carb orders on the regular, out in the wild. I was honestly surprised, followed by the sobering realization that there is so much work to do.

What's your story? Have you encountered understanding, annoyance or other when ordering at a restaurant? Share it here! Your story might resonate with someone else, too.
~Cyndy

Comments

Popular Posts